23 February, 2022
Lighting has been an essential part of our lives since the Stone Age. And its importance to the home has only increased with the advent of electricity. An excellent home lighting system can bring any room to life in a matter of seconds, creating the perfect ambiance for any activity in your home.
Home Lighting Trends and Materials
Do you remember when incandescent light bulbs were all the rage? If so, you’re not alone—though that was decades ago, and since then. There have been many lighting trends in home lighting that you may not have heard about yet! With the increasing popularity of both energy-efficient and environmental lighting. And innovative new technologies like motion-sensing LEDs. The possibilities for creating exciting and dynamic home lighting schemes are nearly endless.
One of the essential elements in home décor can be lighting fixtures, both functional and ornamental. With the rise of technology, new materials and shapes have made their way into the market. Transforming what was once ordinary into extraordinary. But with so many different shapes, sizes, materials, and new technology available. It can be hard to know where to start when you’re ready to begin your next home lighting project.
One of home lighting’s biggest trends is utilizing shapes for lighting. Many homeowners, including designers and architects, are beginning to use unique light-shapes to help set a mood or theme for their home. By mixing and matching different lights, you can create a variety of themes or moods throughout your home.
Home designers are being creative with home lighting fixtures. And showing us all that we can accomplish with just a few options available out there. The shape has an impact, but the color of your light bulb (Edison bulbs come in plenty of colors) plays a large role in helping set each theme.
Your lighting fixture should be proportionate to your room. For example, you wouldn’t want a large light fixture over a small table, as it would appear off-balance. Similarly, you wouldn’t want a small light fixture in a very large space, as it would be underwhelming. To determine what size light fixtures are best for each room of your home. Consider where and how you use that room and where it fits within your home overall.
There are also standard ceiling heights from which to measure. In general, these are:
Once you know what size is right for your rooms, consider ceiling fans if they fit into your home design plan. Ceiling fans can make a room feel more spacious by creating an impression of height with their long blades.
Many homeowners are looking to create a more personalized experience in their homes. And new color-changing lighting allows them to do just that. We are likely seeing more folks focusing on creating a mood- and color-specific home environment through different types of bulbs. This means areas such as your living room, dining room, or kitchen will have ambient light sources that give off white light when you want bright illumination but can change to other colors (or fade into each other) when you don’t need full brightness.
Your bedroom may have lights designed for relaxing and sleeping; blue lights would help lull you into dreamland at night. While red/orange ones might perk you up or set a romantic mood during reading time or an intimate evening with someone special. New LED options could let users pick a specific color temperature. Similar to how some smart thermostats today can offer several temperatures ranging from more fabulous blue shades to warmer yellowish tones.
The world of home lighting will be a whole new ballgame this year. With development in wireless networking, smart homes are set to take off as a major consumer trend. And lighting will become highly integrated into home automation systems. This also means that homeowners will have more control over their lights than ever before. And consequently a much wider range of options from which to choose when looking to update their homes. Paired with advances in low-energy technology and other improvements to make indoor illumination more efficient. We’re set to see some very interesting changes when it comes to home lighting in just over ten years.
You can now control your home lights in an entirely new way. Even if you are not at home, you may program your interior lights to turn on at a specified hour to give the impression that someone is present. This system is simple to set up and can be linked to Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri for voice activation. The look for covers is sleek and modern, making them more attractive than a standard switch. This technology can also hook up to your GPS location, so the lights will automatically switch on when you get close to your house.
To transform your home into a safe and stylish space, it is imperative to think about lighting trends. Light fixtures can set the tone of any room, allowing you to create an airy ambiance or a bold statement. Whether you’re looking to brighten up your existing space or deck out a new construction project, home lighting trends can help you do it in style. Here are some ways that light fixtures can be used:
1) Accent Walls – One way to add personality to any room is by using accent walls; paint them a vibrant color and use wall sconces with matching shades or hang pendant lights above beds and seating areas.
2) Bedrooms – Lighting plays an important role when designing a bedroom, especially since you spend so much time there. Pendant lights over the bed will not only give off enough illumination but also complement your decorating theme.
3) Kitchens – By selecting kitchen lights with decorative frames and shapes, homeowners can emphasize their favorite elements like window sills and backsplashes while creating a serene atmosphere.
4) Living Rooms – Don’t neglect living rooms because they aren’t traditionally bedrooms or kitchens! Wall-mounted lamps allow homeowners to highlight focal points while bathing other areas in low levels of light.
5) Study Room – Having trouble concentrating? Lights are one of your best friends! Brighten up your study room with recessed ceiling lights and smartly placed table lamps.
6) Dining Room – When planning a dining area, ensure adequate lighting by considering both ambient and task lighting options. Different types of bulbs (halogen, fluorescent, LED, etc.) work best in different situations.
7) Outdoor Spaces – Just because outdoor spaces don’t have roofs doesn’t mean they should lack abundant sources of light! Patio pendants, hanging lanterns, and even chandeliers make great additions to patios and backyards.
8) Bathroom – Bathrooms often play host to all sorts of activities which means bathroom lighting must accommodate everyone who visits. Corner showers paired with sconces behind sinks are modern-day home lighting trends that take into account multiple needs.
Believe it or not, your choice of lighting can have a significant impact on how welcoming and warm your home feels. So, whether you want to update your existing home lighting or want to know what to look out for when purchasing new lighting fixtures. This guide will help point you in the right direction so you can always light up your home in the best way possible!
Stay tuned to our blog page for more updates related to home décor, home improvement trends, tips regarding home renovation, or anything related to your home design!